- Your Government
- Departments A-F
- Commissioner of Revenue
- Business License
Commissioner of Revenue Business License
New Kent County Code (Chapter 66 Article VI. - Business License Taxes) requires that any person engaging in business, trade or profession in New Kent County shall apply for a business license prior to conducting business. You need a Business License IF YOU:
- Advertise or otherwise hold yourself out to the public as offering good or services for sale; OR
- File a Federal Schedule C or Schedule C-EZ "Profit or Loss from a Business"; OR
- File other tax returns, schedules & documents required only of a business, or of persons engaged in a trade or business; OR
- Are paid as a 1099 independent contractor
- Have an office, retail space, or other location, leased or otherwise, in New Kent County: OR, If you have no such space, you:
- Are a resident of New Kent County
Obtaining a Business License
- Applications & Tax Forms - Business license applications and renewals can be found on this page.
- Business Resources - This page provides helpful business links.
- Renewing Your License - This page details the steps and deadlines involved with renewing your business license with New Kent County.
Minimum Business License is $30.00. Every person or business subject to licensure shall not be taxed a license fee or collected on any amount of gross receipts less than $10,000.00. However, a completed license application is required. The $10,000.00 minimum gross receipts requirement does not apply to itinerant merchants or peddlers; carnivals, circuses, festivals, fairs, cultural events, etc.
- Administrative Appeal - This page provides additional information for filing an administrative appeal with the New Kent County office of the Commissioner of Revenue.
- Business Property - This page contains additional information regarding the assessment of tangible business property.
- Tax Rates - Business License tax rates can be found on this page.