Route 618 Waterline
Since early 2017, New Kent DPU has been in the survey, design & approval phase of the Route 618 Waterline. The proposed 16-inch waterline would connect the Farms of New Kent Water System (at the Route 618 tank) & Colonial Downs Water Systems (at the VDOT rest areas), and provide the following benefits:
- Improved drinking water quality by reducing dependence on wells with elevated fluoride
- Improved reliability by supplying water pressure from the elevated tank, rather than electric-powered pumps, reducing the dependence on emergency generators
- Reduction of future operating manpower, electrical costs, maintenance costs & capital project costs by eliminating one well & pump, six booster pumps & two water storage tanks
- Reduced water sampling costs by combining populations & eliminating one groundwater source
- Reduced permit management costs for DPU, the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality & the Virginia Department of Health, by eliminating one Waterworks Operation Permit & one Groundwater Withdrawal Permit
In June 2018, DPU received a funding offer in the form of a 20-year fixed-rate low-interest loan from the Virginia Department of Health's Drinking Water State Revolving Loan Fund, subject to approval by the Board of Supervisors.
The waterline project is anticipated to go out to bid in July 2019, with a completion date of June 2020.