The Wetlands Board also serves as the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Board and the Beaches & Dunes Board.
About the Board
- The Wetlands Board holds public hearings for the issuance of wetlands permits and granting such permits for the use of development of wetlands areas (bulkheads, rip rap revetments, RPA encroachments, boat ramps, etc.) so as to preserve and prevent the despoliation and destruction of wetlands within its jurisdiction while accommodating necessary economic development in a matter consistent with wetlands preservation.
- Public hearings are held as needed on the first Thursday of each month in the County Administration Building.
- Governed by Virginia Code Section 28.2-1303 and New Kent Code Section 82-111.
- The Wetlands Board is composed of one Board-appointed member from each election district and 1-3 alternates.
- Board members can hold no public office in the County other than membership on the local Planning or Zoning Commission, local Erosion Commission, local Board of Zoning Appeals, a Board established to hear cases regarding ordinances adopted pursuant to the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act, or Director of a Soil and Water Conservation Board.
- Appointees serve 5-year terms ending December 31, staggered so that one term expires each year.
- Current roster
Wetland Board Meeting Minutes:
|Meeting Date||Application Deadline|
|June 2, 2022||May 11, 2022|
|July 7, 2022||June 15, 2022|
|August 4, 2022||July 13, 2022|
|September 1, 2022||August 10, 2022|
|October 6, 2022||September 14, 2022|
|November 3, 2022||October 12, 2022|
|December 1, 2022||November 9, 2022|
*Completed application and payment are due at time of submittal.
**The Wetlands Board only meets if an application has been submitted.