Planning and Zoning Department
**NOTICE REGARDING OUR RELOCATION AS OF MAY 10, 2021**
Effective Monday, May 10, 2021, we will be temporarily located at 7941 New Chipping Lane between Rappahannock Community College and Courthouse Circle in the building with tan siding. The service entrance is located on the east side.
**CONTINUED COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS**
Effective Monday, May 10, 2021, the following procedures apply when visiting the Planning & Zoning Department temporarily located at 7941 New Chipping Lane:
- our visitors will check in at the Planning & Zoning Department window to the right to take a temperature reading and to complete a screening form prior to conducting business with the Department. You will also receive information about social distancing and face coverings according to the latest New Kent County Emergency Permanent Standards and the Governor's Announcements
- reduced Planning & Zoning Department permit and application hours will be from 8:00 AM to 3:45 PM to allow ample time to make any payments to the Treasurer by 4:15 PM. The Treasurer has returned to its original office at the upper-level Administration Building located at 12007 Courthouse Circle
- as a reminder, only completed original applications and permits are accepted with the required fee payment at the time of submittal
- Planning & Zoning Staff will still be able to assist you with non-payment related matters by appointment only between 3:45 PM and 4:30 PM
Your safety is our top priority and we appreciate your continued support.
The Planning Department is responsible for developing and recommending growth management strategies, encouraging aesthetically pleasing development, and ensuring our community grows through positive land use development practices. Specifically, the division is responsible for:
- Assisting in the preparation of the county’s Capital Improvement Program. Section 15.2-2239 of the Code of Virginia requires localities to have capital improvement programs and stipulates that they must include the planning commission’s review and recommendations
- Developing, reviewing, and updating the county’s comprehensive plan and development ordinances. Section 15.2-2223 of the Code of Virginia requires all localities to have a comprehensive plan and set requirements for review and update
- Processing and reviewing rezoning applications, conditional use permits, variances, appeals, administrative modifications, zoning complaints, site plans, and subdivisions. Section 15.2-2240 of the Code of Virginia requires that all localities have subdivision ordinances. Section 10.1-2109 of the Code of Virginia requires all localities in Tidewater Virginia to have zoning ordinances
- Providing accurate and timely demographic and economic data and projections to staff, agencies, boards, commissions, and the general public
- Providing staff support to the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors, including reviewing and providing recommendations on all land use matters presented to the commission and the board