We recognize that news of the developing outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in various countries around the world is alarming. New Kent County officials are working with the New Kent Health Department, as well as various other local, state, federal, and international officials to monitor the impact of COVID-19. We rely upon their resources and guidance during the development of COVID-19.
Currently, there is no cause for alarm. New Kent County officials are continuously monitoring the development of COVID-19 for changes in threat level to our area. The Virginia Department of Health (VDH) reports no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Virginia, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) indicates the risk to the public remains low.
Due to constantly developing information, New Kent County officials are continuously monitoring news / information releases from the CDC, the World Health Organziation (WHO), and the Virginia Department of Health. An internet hyperlink list of informational resources is provided below. New Kent County urges the public to review these identified internet resources. In addition to reviewing these resources, there are simple steps that individuals can take to prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses like COVID-19 and Influenza in our community:
- Stay home if you are sick
- Avoid close contact with others and seek medical treatment if necessary.
- If you have a fever, do not return to work or school until you are fever-free for at least 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medications.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Clean and disinfect your workspace frequently, even if you are the only one that routinely uses the workspace.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. If unable to wash your hands, use an alcohol based sanitizer. CDC: When and How to wash your hands
- Cover your mouth and/or nose when you cough or sneeze with a tissue and discard used tissues in a wastebasket. If you do not have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve. CDC: Hygiene Etiquette
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, nose, or face.
CDC: COVID-19 Fact Sheet
CDC: What to do if you’re sick.
CDC: Stop the Spread of Germs
Virginia Department of Health: COVID-19
WHO: COVID-19 Updates
Should you have additional questions, you may contact:
- The New Kent County Health Department: (804) 966-9640
- The Virginia Department of Health: 1-877-ASK-VDH3 (1-877-215-8343)