Routine lead & copper sampling requested this month
During the weeks of August 8 & August 15, New Kent Department of Public Utilities (DPU) Water Operators Ken Seiberling & Dee McCray will be requesting customer assistance in collecting routine water quality samples for lead & copper in the neighborhoods of the Colonies, Quinton Park, Woods Edge & Whitehouse Farms.
This sampling is routine. Lead & copper sampling is required by the Safe Drinking Water Act every three (3) years, at a minimum. There is no reason to suspect elevated lead or copper levels in the drinking water at this time. You will be advised of the sample results, and their interpretation, once they are received by DPU.
If your location is selected, please follow the directions provided, complete the information requested, and return it along with the full sample bottle to your front porch for pickup.
Some helpful tips below:
• Use water as you normally would.
• Allow a minimum 6 hours of inactivity at the sampling location before sampling (first draw in the morning is preferred).
• Sample from a cold-water bathroom or kitchen tap.
• Bypass any water softeners or filters.
• Fill the sample bottle completely.
• Note the date, time and location of collection on the back of this sheet.
• Tightly cap the bottle and return it to the location from where it was received along with this sheet.
• Call Mike Lang, DPU Director, at 804 966 9678 with any questions or concerns regarding the sampling procedures or drinking water quality.
• Flush the tap before or after the minimum 6 hours of inactivity.
• Remove or clean the aerator prior to sampling (EPA recommends periodic cleaning of aerators to maintain water quality, however not specifically prior to sampling).
• Make any assumptions about your drinking water quality. Call Mike Lang, DPU Director, at 804 966 9678 with any questions or concerns about your water quality.